7.1.14

Vegetable Croquettes

I wouldn't really call my toddler a fussy eater..but there are times when hot dog and pizzas are the only things he opens his mouth to... such phases though short-lived get me worried and that is when I consult my most trusted recipe book First Meals by Annabel Karmel. I had bought the book at the local library sale and till date consider it as my best buy from the library. It has a wonderful collection of quick and easy kid-friendly meals and at the end of a clean plate, courtesy First Meals,  I always wonder why had I not thought of the recipe earlier. 

Anyway, these vegetable croquettes were born during one such fussy phase of my little toddlers life. The original recipe had carrots, sweet corn and broccoli, which I traded for spinach and greens peas The result was delicious. Both daddy and son approved of it and recently even the toddlers aunt certified it as a simple and tasty snack.




Vegetable Croquettes

Recipe by Tanusree Khandai
Prep time: 5 minutes                                                                                        Cook time: 30 minutes
Total time: 35 minutes                                                                                      Yield: 13
Ingredients

  • 2 tsps canola oil 
  • 1 small onion, chopped
  • 1 clove of garlic, crushed
  • 1 1/2 tsp capers, chopped
  • 1/3 cup green peas
  • 1/2 cup frozen spinach, thawed
  • 2 medium sized potatoes, boiled
  • salt to taste
  • 13, 1 inch long and 1/4 inch wide cheddar cheese sticks  
  • 1/2 cup potato chips, crushed
Cooking Directions
  1. Preheat oven to 350° F.
  2. Line a baking sheet with parchment paper and keep aside.
  3. Heat oil in a frying pan.
  4. Add the chopped onions, garlic and capers to it and cook over medium heat till the onion is translucent.
  5. Add the peas and spinach and cook until the raw smell is gone about 8-10 minutes. If using fresh spinach cook till the leaves have wilted and most of the moisture is gone.
  6. Mash the boiled potatoes and add them them to the frying pan.
  7. Mix all the ingredients well, season with salt.
  8. Switch off the heat and let the mixture rest until it is cool enough to work with.
  9. When ready to roll croquettes, lay the crushed potato chips on a flat surface.
  10. Using your hand shape the spinach and potato mixture around the cheese sticks to form sausage-shaped croquettes.
  11. Roll the croquettes in the crushed potato chips until well coated.
  12. Place them in the prepared baking trays and bake in preheated oven for 15 minutes.
  13. Remove from the trays and serve right away or serve it after they cool down. They taste great either way.

I shall be sharing this at the following parties.


6 comments:

  1. The recipe says to shape the spinach and potato mixture around the cheese sticks. What cheese sticks? I don't see any cheese in the list of ingredients?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sorry about that Hilbert. I just updated the ingredient list.

    ReplyDelete
  3. very very delicious and healthy croquettes :) looks fantastic dear !!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Tanusree,
    This would be perfect for picky kids--what a great creation!
    I'm glad you caught my eye on Tasty Tuesdays!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Looks good! I need to make these for my son! Thanks for sharing! I am doing a giveaway and would love for you to come by and check it out!
    XO, Jennie
    http://www.thediaryofarealhousewife.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thanks for linking up at our Gluten Free Fridays party! I have tweeted and pinned your entry to our Gluten Free Fridays board on Pinterest! :)

    Hope your week is great! Can't wait to see what you link up this week!

    Cindy from vegetarianmamma.com

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for stopping by. It was nice having you here. Have a good day.

Take care and come back soon.
Best, Tanusree

Like us

Printfriendly

.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...